Sunday, February 13, 2011

QTE Gamers - 2 Years Old And Still Going Strong!

Well QTE Gamers is now over 2 years old! I can safely say that when I started it all, I never imagined it would be still around after 2 years. The site was started as just something to do whilst I was unemployed after Woolworths went under. But with the recession hitting hard and my qualifications not being suitable for where I live, I ended up being unemployed far longer than I wanted. You'll be glad to know that I am employed now and have been since October. The hours aren't great but at least its something. I hope that the site hasn't been too effected since I had a job, but if it has please let me know.

On the one year anniversary I wrote about the frustration in trying to get in touch with PR and access to press accounts. Well there's been some big changes since then. Codemasters got in touch with me!. They were a big help and I soon got access to their press site and they have been great when it comes to questions...so a big thankyou to Capcom. Another big addition was gaining access to GamesPress, who are probably the biggest Press site out there. Now I have access to Capcom and a whole host of other companies, large and small. Its not perfect, but it has made a big difference for the site. Only a few days ago I gained better access to Temco Keoi assets. Getting the news to my readers is important and i'm always looking to gain more access.

I would like to give a big shout out for Namco Bandai. As a developer and publisher they are usually keeping me busy. But they became the first company to send me a review copy of a game and for that i'm extremely grateful. I will say that that had no bearing on my review score, lol.

I admit I haven't pursued other review copies as yet. With all the new press sites I have access to, I don't have too much free time during the day to play games, and those who keep up with What Have You Been Playing may have noticed the drop off. I did enjoy reviewing Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, but I played that game for just over 25 hours and ultimately the review came out later than I wanted. I already don't have much time to chase news with PR and I have to think carefully about reviewing games on top of it all.

Another big annoyance was with Viddler. It was great when they moved to HTML5, it meant more mobile users could watch trailers and videos I post. I wish Picasa and Podbean were equally accessible with HTML 5. but near Christmas issues emerged with Viddler and my account was basically frozen. The help page and email they provided didn't exist which left me high and dry. After looking around I decided to go with Veoh and i'm mostly happy with them. I'd be happier if they HTML5 support and if they didn't delete some of my videos for copyright issues, which I have contacted them about but not heard back yet.

But highs and lows are to be expected. I thoroughly enjoy what I do and would like to keep it going. I have ideas for features i'm looking to start in the next month or so and I know there's a few publishers/developers i've yet to get access to their press sites...i'm looking at you Atlus. I know changes to the site have slowed down over the year, and the change from Viddler to Veoh will have been annoying as Viddler at HTML5. But here's to the next year and seeing you around this time next year when I celebrate year 3!

Simon Revell

No comments:

Post a Comment